Although I’m not lactose intolerant (which I’m thankful for), my dairy consumption especially the good kind has been a disgrace. You know how deep my love is for cheese and creamy pasta, somehow I couldn’t show the same level of affection for milk and yoghurt.
I love soy latte and those really sweet soy milk sold in Asian supermarket, that’s how much I’d go as far as milk concern. As for my feelings towards yoghurt, yoghurt in curry sounds wonderful, yoghurt in containers not so much! A hard to please dairy food snob, you bet!
Since I will be hitting 30 years of age in a couple of months, it got me thinking…..have I been getting enough calcium for the past few years? Yes I know, speaking about last minute!
The tricky part of determining one’s calcium level is that there’s no monthly statement telling us our calcium balance, unlike our retirement fund accounts. The one thing with working without a balance statement is it can go either good or bad for which I can only find out when I’m older.
Anyway to avoid a nasty surprise (brittle bones) in later years, I’ve decided to embark on a smoothie journey… a good start for me to incorporate more milk and yoghurt into my diet. Not to mention more fruits too!
(Before some of you comment that there’s lot of sugar in flavoured yoghurt and sorbet and it’s not that healthy etc.… I totally realise that. Not like I’m having smoothie everyday… probably twice a week…and it’s my way of having sweet treats. I love the addition of sorbet which gives the icy speckles in the smoothie (yum!). Especially if you are just using a stick blender like myself, there is no way you can crush ice with that.)
Blueberry, Mulberry & Strawberry Smoothie (Using a Stick Blender)
(Okay I could have name it as berry smoothie. I can be long-winded sometimes!)
Makes 2 cups
- 62g (2 oz) blueberries
- 62g (2 oz) mulberries
- 3 strawberries
- 175g (6 oz) flavoured yoghurt – I used the Lite Yoplait Mango Flavour
- 1/4 cup milk (add more for your preferred consistency)
- 1 scoop of fruit sorbet – I used the Weis Sorbet Pineapple and Tahitian Lime
- Rinse and dry the mulberries and blueberries. Set aside.
- Wash and hulled strawberries.
- Add all the ingredients into a tumbler (which came with my stick blender). If not you can use a food processor or kitchen blender for this.
- Blend until everything is mixed. Serve immediately.