I am saving my cream quota for the next post so this luscious soup recipe has no cream or butter whatsoever. Hooray for another dairy free and vegan friendly recipe!
Lately, I have really been interested in cooking vegan friendly food. I love my self-imposed cooking challenge especially coming from a person who does not have any strict dietary requirements. When I tried to cook with only plant based ingredients, it allows me to explore new combination of ingredients.
Let’s talk about this sweet potato and chickpea soup, for example. I love the marriage of the natural sweetness of the sweet potato and the nuttiness from the chickpea. Soup made in heaven, I’d say. * wink*
Legumes generally add heartiness to a meal.. Instead of a carbohydrate centric soup, it’s exciting to incorporate a little protein to make a satisfying meal.
As the sweet potato and chickpea are fairly versatile to work with in terms of flavour, I have added curry powder as my flavour base but Thai curry paste, Moroccan spices or dried Italian herbs will work just as well.
- Cooking oil
- 1 brown onion, peeled & diced
- 1 ½ tablespoon of curry powder
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 x 400g canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander (aka cilantro), chopped
- Croutons optional
- In a pot, add cooking oil. When the oil is hot, sauté the diced onion until translucent.
- Add curry powder to the onion. Sauté until aromatic and oil is slightly separated from the mixture. Add a splash of water if the mixture begins to stick to the pot.
- Add sweet potato and chickpeas. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add vegetable broth. Turn the flame to high until boiling and reduce to flame to low-medium. Cover with a lid and allow the soup to cook until the sweet potato is mashable.
- Using a stick blender and blitz the mixture until creamy and velvety consistency.
- Return the soup to the stove and simmer over low heat. Do a taste test if additional salt is required. When it is bubbling, the soup is now ready to serve.
- Serve the soup with freshly milled black pepper, chopped coriander and topped with croutons.
You will also need a stick/tall blender.
Sign up here for FREE RECIPES delivered straight to your inbox!
I love that you appreciate vegan cooking, even though you aren’t doing the whole strict lifestyle. And I liked your gentle language, regarding the flavor and spices. You didn’t sound like some rigid food snob. Mas props!!
That’s a huge compliment Rachel! I really appreciate it. 🙂 I believe in eating in moderation and I love the challenge of cooking different kinds of food. It’s comforting to learn that there are people who feel the same way. x Emily
Thank you. This has become a crock pot soup staple. Sweet potatoes, chickpeas and curry. Great trio of flavors along with the other ingredients.
Rachel B says
Hey Emily, thanks for posting this recipe. I love that it’s simple and nutritious. Making soup is one of my favorite things so I’m looking forward to making this one.