In anticipation of a lot of post-party leftovers in the weeks to come, I’d love to keep a couple of leftover makeover ideas up my sleeve. For one, it would be a shame to end the year with a lot of food wastage for I have been pretty good about it during the year; and secondly, usually after a big cook out leading up to a party, the last thing I want to do is to spend more time in the kitchen.
I often create one of the most satisfying meals at home using leftovers. When I had some grilled chicken leftover from dinner, the idea of repurposing it into club sandwiches had dawned on me. In the absence of mayo in the house, I decided to add sunny side up eggs and grilled portobello mushrooms to make sure the club sandwiches were not too dry.
- Olive oil
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 grilled chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- Preheat a griddle pan. In the meantime, lightly drizzle olive oil on both sides of the bread and place them on the preheated griddle pan. Toast the bread on both sides until golden brown. Set aside.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over the mushrooms. Place on a preheated small frying pan and cook until slightly wilted. Set aside on the plate.
- Add olive oil to the same pan. Crack the eggs onto the same frying pan. Cook the eggs over low heat until the egg white has became completely opaque without turning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat the chicken breast in the microwave for a minute. Shred with two forks.
- To assemble: On a slice of bread, layer with sliced cucumber, tomato, shredded chicken, portobello mushroom and a sunny-side-up egg and finally, top with another side of bread. Repeat this step with the remaining ingredients.
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
I don’t have any holiday leftovers yet.. but when I do, these delicious club sandwiches will definitely be getting made. Thanks for the idea!