I love a bit of challenge when it comes to cooking! In addition to cooking various cuisines, trying recipes for different dietary requirements, I also like to be creative with the use of ingredients in my pantry.
One of my favourite ingredients I like to have in my pantry is craisins (dried cranberries). As much as I love to snack on them with salted mix nuts, it has been a regular ingredient used in both my cooking and baking adventures which you may have already came across on my past blog posts below:-
- Pantry Tomato & Cranberry Relish
- Cranberry Almond Loaf (Made with Olive Oil)
- Smoked Salmon, Peas, Cranberries & Quinoa Pilaf
- Indian Spiced Brussels Sprouts
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie with Cornflakes Crust
- Banana, Oatmeal & Cranberry Muffins
And these, my friends, are just to name a few ha!
Not too long ago, I had the most amazing barbecue lamb cutlets at a friend’s party and these grilled cranberry-glazed lamb steaks were inspired by the lamb cutlets I had at the time. The two main ingredients for the marinade were the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce and American mustard, with salt and pepper as the seasonings. Talk about a fuss free homemade lamb marinade huh?
When it comes to making tacos, the same care and love should apply to making the salsa too! Since I was making soft tacos, I wanted a bit more texture in the salsa, hence the addition of capsicum. To echo the flavour of the marinade, craisins were added to the salsa.
In order to balance the sweetness of the dish, you’ll find the garlicky hommus and feta are the perfect savoury elements for the soft taco. Not to mention that they are known for being the perfect accompaniments for grilled lamb!
- 2 Tbsps Ocean Spray cranberry sauce
- 1 Tbsp American mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 400g lamb steaks
- 1 tsp salt & freshly milled black pepper
- 200g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green capsicum (aka bell pepper), deseeded & sliced
- 1 French shallot, peeled & thinly sliced
- 20g fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsps Ocean Spray 50% Less Sugar Craisins
- 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 10 mini tortillas
- 200g hommus (store-bought/homemade)
- 100g low fat feta, crumbled
- Add cranberry sauce, mustard, oil, salt & black pepper into a mixing bowl and whisk with a fork until well combined.
- Coat the lamb steaks with the mixture and allow them to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Scrape off the excess marinade from the steaks before grilling on a preheated griddle. Cook these steaks on both sides to your preferred doneness. Allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
- While the steaks are cooking, start prepping the salsa ingredients (i.e. cherry tomatoes, capsicum, shallot and mint leaves). Combine these ingredients in a large bowl with craisins and evoo and toss all the ingredients until well combined.
- Heat up the mini tortillas according to the packet instructions.
- To assemble: Spread hommus on the warmed tortilla. Then add salsa, steak slices, crumbled feta and enjoy! If you like a bit of kick, why not drizzle some of your favourite hot sauce?
So what is the most creative cranberry dish you would love to cook and what would you call it? Ocean Spray is currently hosting a fantastic Facebook giveaway where you can enter the draw to win one of five $1000 grocery vouchers by answering the question above. You can head over to Ocean Spray’s Facebook page to enter or via portal below (thanks to Facebook’s”embed post function”).
This post is part of a Nuffnang native advertising series.
If you like what you see here, why not subscribe to Fuss Free Cooking for regular meal inspirations delivered straight to your inbox!
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
These tacos look seriously so divine – love the Mediterranean flavours!