I hope there is no age limit on loving grilled sandwiches for dinner. To my beloved’s dismay at times, I love nothing more than grilled sandwiches or plain toasts with canned soup for dinner. Men being men, it seems like the ideal men-approved dinners tend to revolve around plenty of carbs, meat and minimal veggies *sigh*. So in his eyes, grilled sandwiches and toasts belong to the snack category rather than main course. Fortunately for me, I have full control of the kitchen operation; unfortunately for him, he has to eat whatever the operator (me) produces.
Tonight I was craving for some peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner and thanks for some leftovers from previous night, my beloved’s dinner was covered. Hence it would be wrong if I didn’t act on my PB&J cravings.
This time, however, I wanted to stray a little from the conventional PB&J. I wanted a version which screamed decadence! Maybe it has something to do with the upcoming holiday huh? Still fresh from my previous cornflakes crusted “deep fried” wings recipe, I thought why not give my PB&J the first coating of beaten egg (to make a french toast) and followed by a crusty coating of handcrushed cornflakes?
Oh don’t mind me, as always, I’m on a quest to “crunchy-tize” my food.
Cornflakes Crusted Grilled Peanut Butter – Jelly Sandwich
4 slices of bread
A dash of milk
1.5 cup cornflakes
Jelly or Jam
Butter to grease the pan
1. Pour cornflakes onto a flat plate and crush using your palms and fingers. Set aside.
2. Beat one egg with a dash of milk on a separate flat plate. Set aside.
3. Make the sandwich.
4. Dip the sandwich in the egg mixture for both sides. Then do the same with the cornflakes crumbs.
5. Heat a pan with some butter and grill the sandwich on both sides until golden brown. Make sure this is done on low heat.
6. Repeat step 4 and 5 for the remaining sandwich. Serve immediately.