The wait is over. The Angry Birds Movie is finally here!!
I was drawn to the trailer so much especially since it includes one of my all time favourite songs, Close To You by the Carpenters.
We went to watch the movie last weekend and if you are a fan of animated movies, you will like this one too. My beloved and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. We were there with about 20 children at the mid-day session. Like most afternoon sessions for animated movies, it often feels like the adult to children ratio is 1 to 4. Although it is more of a kid’s movie, there were scenes that managed to evoke laughter from the adults and almost a tear from me in the touching scene towards the end of the movie (please do not judge the fact that I cry easily).
Angry Birds are all the rage right now (no pun intended ha!). Hence, I was inspired to share an Angry Birds food recipe. This recipe is inspired by a Spanish style tomato bread called pan con tomate or Pa amb tomàquet, a common dish found in Catalan cuisine. To put it simply, it is like a tomato bruschetta but instead of finely chopped/diced tomatoes, they are pureed instead, either using a grater or the lazy girl’s method, a food processor.
Just so you know, my rendition of Angry Birds’ toast has deviated from the authentic pan con tomate. What I had in mind was a snack that is fairly easy to make, refreshing and healthy. I hope you will like it! x Emily
- 1 tomato
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bocconcini, cut into 4 slices
- 1 - 2 black olives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 carrot (pick a fat one), peeled
- 1 slice of bread
- Vegemite (or you can use BBQ sauce or tapenade)
- 1 English Muffin, cut in half
- 1 garlic, cut in half
- Cut a tomato into wedges and use a blender/food processor/Nutribullet to puree the tomato. Transfer the tomato puree to a bowl and stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste to intensify the redness.
- Eyeballs: Using a pair of scissors, trim the bocconcini slices into smaller circles (about 1.5 inches in diameter). The part where the eyebrows hit, make sure you trim it straight so that the "eyebrows" do not overlap with the bocconcini.
- Beak: Cut the carrot about 2.5 inches lengthwise. You will need one 2.5 inched carrot for each beak. It is handy to have a picture of Angry Birds (Red) to help you shape the beak. I used a small sharp knife for this task.
- Eyebrows: Toast a slice of bread and spread vegemite (or BBQ Sauce/Tapenade). Use a pair scissors to cut into strips. You can trim it down later when you assemble the toasts.
- Toast the English Muffin and then rub the garlic over it. You can lightly drizzle some olive oil over it if you want.
- Spread the tomato puree.
- Carefully place the prepared bocconcini slices. Trim down if required.
- Place the carrot followed by the bread toast strips. You may need to trim the strips in order to fit on the English Muffin.
- Lastly, place the black olive slices on top of the bocconcini slices as the iris.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply