To be honest, crumble is a dessert I can do without. The only time I even thought of making crumble is when I have packets of frozen berries that were meant for smoothies that never happened.
As you may all know, part of the moving process entails the task of cleaning out your fridge and freezer. You don’t want to know how many things I have to throw out despite my last minute effort as seen here and some unseen ones.
I must admit, it kinda hurts. Hence my last attempt to salvage whatever I can on the final day before the move, I’ve made this strawberry crumble. Yep, I have saved them from the life of decomposing with other food waste. 🙂
(A Fuss Free Cooking Recipe)
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 – 35 minutes
- 700g frozen strawberry, sliced into half (fresh strawberries are okay too)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar (adjust according to the tartness of the strawberries)
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 100 g butter, diced & cold
- 2 tbps demerara sugar (or normal sugar)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond flakes
- 3/4 cup cornflakes, roughly crushed (rolled oats)
- Preheat oven to `180 degree C (356 degrees F) – reduce the temperature by 20 degrees C / 68 degrees F if you are using fan-force oven.
- Lightly process butter and flour until resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Alternatively, use the rub-in method i.e. use the tip of your fingers and “rub” the butter and flour together (try to work quickly if using this method as the temperature from your hand will melt the butter a little.)
- Once you have the “crumbs” ready, add in sugar, ground cinnamon, almond flakes and crushed cornflakes. Mix well and set aside.
- Add strawberries into an oven-proof dish. Then add, icing sugar as well as flour and mix to combine.
- Then sprinkle the crumbs on top of the strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until the toppings becomes golden brown and crunchy looking.
PS: There’s a microwave version – apple walnut crips posted on Zestyflavors. It’s so easy and quick – I think this would be perfect for a sneaky midnight snack. 🙂