In my last 5 Ingredients Spelt and Chia Seeds Banana Bread post, Felicia from Dish by Dish asked:-
“Hey Emily! this looks beautiful! I’m just wondering if I can use almond meal to replace spelt flour?”
I thought what a brilliant idea to give a flourless banana bread a go! So here it is, Felicia, my take on flourless banana bread – with almond meal with raw cacao powder. I did not add any sugar to the loaf except for a light sprinkling of coconut sugar on top of the banana toppings to help with the caramelisation. Ooooo, caramelised bananas, can’t say no to that hey?
Let me tell you the textural difference of this flourless banana bread as compared to the spelt version. It is definitely denser and more crumbly. Plus the flourless version takes 20 minutes longer to bake, thus making the total baking time of about an hour.
So my dear friends, this may be the baking recipe for you this weekend. Let me know how did the loaf turn out for you.
Hope you all have a productive & joyful weekend! Emily xx
- 5 bananas
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 6 tbsps water
- 1 ½ cups almond meal
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- Coconut sugar
- To make an egg substitute, mix the chia seeds and water and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes until it transforms into gel.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper or lightly grease it with some flavourless cooking oil.
- Mash 4 bananas, add the chia seeds gel. Whisk with a fork until well combine.
- Stir in almond meal, cacoa powder and baking powder until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf tin. Smooth the surface to make sure they are evenly distributed. For the toppings, add banana slices and a light sprinkling of coconut sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour or until the cake tester come out clean.
- Cut them into slices and slather with almond/peanut butter.
You will need a loaf tin.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Fuss Free Cooking for regular meal inspirations delivered straight to your inbox!
felicia | Dish by Dish says
Wow! How cool that my question in your previous post ended up as an idea for a new recipe! Thanks for trying out this recipe and testing it on our behalf!! so honored!!! Happy weekend dear!
I cannot wait for bananas to ripen so that I may try this recipe!
Grain-free and egg-free! Yes!! 🙂
Will let you know how it turns out…
I hope you will enjoy the recipe Zosia! Looking forward to hear your feedback (good or bad). 🙂