This’s what I had for Sunday brunch.
I love the simplicity of this salad over toasts for brunch – my appetizer before a big meal with friends on late afternoon. The whole brunch was easy and quick to prepare which in turn gave me enough time to get some laundy done before heading out.
Yay, for crossing out one task off my weekend to-do list before heading out! 🙂
Plain Toast Topped with A Pan Fried Mushrooms and Spinach Salad
Good for one person 🙂
- 8 – 10 button mushrooms
- A handful of baby spinach
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small garlic clove
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Pan juice from mushrooms
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup / golden syrup / honey (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- Use a kitchen towel to wipe the dirt off the mushrooms. Then slice each mushroom into 4 slices. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms.
- Heat a pan over medium flame and add butter and olive oil.
- When the butter is melted, add mushrooms and oregano. Spread the mushrooms on the pan and let them brown slightly on the pan side down.
- Flip the mushrooms to cook on the other side and when they turn slightly brown, grate a garlic and gently toss the mushrooms to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a salad bowl, add spinach and mushrooms (leaving the juice in the pan).
- To make the dressing: add olive oil, maple syrup and whole grain mustard and whisk to combine the ingredients with a fork.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Serve over 2 slices of plain toasts.