Emily: Hi guys! Hope you had a wonderful week so far! Today I’m excited to present a new series for my blog featuring my blogger friends and trying out my favourite recipe or DIY project from their blogs. It will be up on every last Wednesday of the month and hope you will enjoy this series. xx
Hi, I’m Tara Mathews, the brains behind vegeTARAian – a Sydney food and travel blog sharing vegetarian experiences including cooking, eating local and travel eats.
I created vegeTARAian in January 2012 as a creative outlet for sharing my love of food. It has also taken me on a journey to learn more about food and cooking. Over time the blog has led to requests for product and restaurant reviews and the exposure has also been a jump start into freelance food writing.
In short, five words to describe your blog.
Vegetarian cooking, eating out and travel.
What motivated you to start blogging?
I’ve always been passionate about food and writing so it made sense to combine the two. It’s something I love and I put a lot of time and energy into it. Now I couldn’t imagine my life without it!
How did you come up with the blog name?
It’s a clever play on words that came up during a conversation at work, the day I decided to take the plunge and create a blog. The great thing about it is that it’s memorable and no one ever forgets my name.
Blogging has motivated me to develop my writing skills, learn about photography, spend more time in the kitchen learning to cook and take more trips. I’ve met some fantastic blogger pals and I’m constantly learning from talented and smart bloggers in the (very welcoming) online community. I also get a huge buzz from interacting with my readers.
Three blogging tools you cannot live without.
The most important one is FOOD! Also a camera and laptop.
Your blogging goal(s).
To be honest, I didn’t have a goal when I started vegeTARAian and I just take it one day at a time. My aim is to continue producing interesting content that readers will enjoy.
Any advice to those who wish to start a blog?
- As there are so many blogs it’s important to find your niche in order to stand out from the crowd – something you’re passionate about that will make you and your blog memorable.
- There are loads of blogger help sites (eg. ProBlogger, Blog Society, Bloggers Bazaar, Blog Elevated, Secret Blogger’s Business, Blogcademy) so do lots of research before you begin.
- Don’t expect to be an expert overnight – there is so much to learn so just take it one step at a time.
- Be patient as it will take time for your blog and audience to grow.
- Get in touch with other bloggers – the best way to learn is from your peers.
- Keep a notepad and pen handy wherever you go as inspiration can strike at any time and you don’t want to lose those great ideas.
Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese Recipe
Emily: When I saw Tara’s vegan mac ‘n’ cheese recipe, I was both intrigued and can’t wait to try it out. It looks delicious on her blog, just like the normal mac ‘n’ cheese, and it’s vegan! I tweaked her recipe a little based on what I have on hand and it was an easy and healthy way to eat mac ‘n’ cheese. This is also perfect for those who have lactose intolerant.
Thanks Tara for taking the time to complete the questionnaires I have for you. I really appreciate.
Don’t forget to check out her wonderful blog and family friendly vegetarian recipes at http://vegetaraian.com and please say hi to her for me.
Should you wish to be part of my featured blogger series, feel free to send me an email via my contact sheet.