Hi friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend! I had spent my weekend catching up on the fourth season of Games of Thrones and snacking. I know, I know, it was not an overly productive weekend but I can now say that I have finally caught up with the show and joined the GoT debriefing at work ha!
Anyway, I have managed to squeeze in a grocery trip to Woolworths which was where I got sucked into a pile of ripen avocados as I entered the shop. They screamed fresh guacomole and corn chips – an opportunity which was too irresistible to be overlooked albeit costing me $2.98 a pop!
In amongst of my guacamole haze, I have dreamt up the combination of generous slather of mashed avocado on toasted bread, topped with the pan fried halloumi made of sheep’s milk as well as chilli-shallots-lime dressing.
Don’t they sound like a winning combo? The creamy avocado. The salty halloumi. The tangy dressing. I can guarantee you that you won’t stop with eating just one. 😉
- Lime rind from ½ lime, grated
- Juice from ½ lime,
- 1 French shallots, peeled & finely chopped
- A tsp chopped chilli (or chilli flakes)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 slices bruschetta bread
- Olive oil
- 250g halloumi, sliced
- 4 ripen avocado
- Juice from ½ lime
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients into a small glass bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To grill the bread, lightly drizzle olive oil on both sides of the bread and place them on a griddle pan. Once both sides have turned golden brown and crispy, side them aside on a plate. (Alternatively, you can toast them in the oven/toaster.)
- Grill the sliced halloumi until they are golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Roughly mash the avocados with lime juice.
- To assemble the bruschetta, smear the mashed avocado on a slice of bread. With a kitchen scissor, snip the halloumi into bite-sized pieces and place them on the avocado. Lightly top with the dressing and chopped coriander. Repeat the same step for the rest of bread. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Fuss Free Cooking for regular meal inspirations delivered straight to your inbox!
Cookin Canuck says
What a fantastic appetizer! I love both avocados and halloumi, but have never thought of putting them together.
My mouth is watering just looking at these..halloumi looks so tasty!