Here are some brief facts about Chip Butty extracted from Wikipedia (and it’s not the name of my pet!):-
“The word butty is a contraction of “bread and butter” that came from northern England, perhaps Yorkshire or Liverpool.”
“Originally considered a working-class meal and was served in pubs.”
“Usually a meal is served with a round of bread so diners can assemble their own Chip Butty with leftover chips.”
To celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, I’ve decided to go all out! I was thinking all day about how to make a grilled cheese sandwich more glorious than it already is. Then I remembered Chip Butty.
A basic Chip Butty is made with fries sandwiched between two buttered white bread slices. Since I’m not the type of lady who takes thing as it is, I tweaked the original version by marrying two of my favourite things in life, fries and grilled cheese sandwich. I must say I have been having favourable success in combining my favourite food/ingredients on one plate. Still sticking to my mantra-of-the-moment “two positives don’t necessarily result in a negative”, this grilled cheese Chip Butty has made my first celebration of the National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day a memorable one. Hope you have a good one too! xoxo, Emily.
Grilled Cheese Chip Butty (Sandwich)
Make 1 sandwich
- 2 slices of white bread
- 8 thin slices of mozzarella cheese (if you use a mozarella ball)
- Leftover fries (or in Australia we call them hot chips)
- A small handful of rocket leaves (arugula)
- Butter, slightly soften to ease spreading
- Heat up a small pan. In the meantime, spread some butter on one side of the bread slices. Place the first slice, butter side down, over the lowest possible heat setting.
- In this order, add first 4 slices of mozzarella cheese, fries, ketchup, rocket leaves, the last four slices of cheese and the other side of bread, butter side up. Press slightly with a spatula.
- Cook until the bottom slice of bread becomes brown and cheese has melted. Then flip the sandwich over to cook the other half.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and serve immediately.