I have been stocking up on a lot of bananas for smoothies lately. I find it hard to estimate how long I can keep the bananas even though I got them while they were slightly green in anticipation of keeping them over a couple days. Not that I have problem in using up overripe bananas ha!
Although I can never get sick of banana loaf, I am sure some of you may be sick of reading about another banana loaf recipe again. How about brownies? How do you feel about adding bananas in brownies? Trust me, it’s not weird at all. In fact, I thought it is an awesome addition. It keeps the brownies moist and bananas and chocolate works well together.
Banana & Chocolate Brownies
(tweaked from allrecipes.com)
What you’ll need:-
- 100g/ 3.5 ounces butter, cubed
- 100g/ 3.5 ounces dark chocolate, broken into smaller pieces
- 1 egg
- 100g/ 3.5 ounces brown sugar
- 2 medium sized bananas (about 320g/11 ounces skin on), peeled & mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g/ 3.5 ounces all purpose flour
- Cooking oil to grease the pan
- Dusting – cocoa powder or icing sugar *optional*
And a 20cm/8 inches x 20cm/8 inches square pan
(1) Preheat oven to 165 degrees C /325 degrees F. Line square pan with baking paper, grease the uncovered area with some cooking oil. Melt butter and chocolate in a medium sized pot over low heat. When the butter and chocolate almost melted, turn off the flame and set aside. (2) Mash bananas and then add brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk with a fork until very well combined. (3) Stir in melted butter & chcolate and mix well. (4) Stir in baking powder and all-purpose flour until just combined. (5) Pour batter into the square pan. (6) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cake tester comes out clean. Cool the brownies in the pan before cutting. Dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar.